TOP 10 FEATURES FOR WHAT HOME BUYERS LOOK FOR WHEN BUYING A HOUSE!
As you search for a home, watch for the trends below. You’ll find today’s new homes deliver on the features that buyers like you want most. And when you’ve found your new dream home, keep these ideas in mind as you feather your new nest.
- Open Concept Home – New homes offer spacious, flowing floor plans and high ceilings that older houses don’t provide.
- Smaller Homes — McMansions are expensive to heat, cool and maintain. The wide array of new homes make it easy to find the size just right for you.
- Outdoor Living Spaces — So True that in Australia and even more so in the many temperate areas of the NSW, 31.4 percent of move-up buyers (people moving to a larger home) said they either must have or really want an outdoor fireplace.
- Neutral Decor — Probably best for selling a home. However, as a new home buyer, don’t be afraid to display your true colors. As we’ve reported in our blog, whether it’s hip designer Jonathan Adler bringing bold colors back to the kitchen with his line of vibrant sinks for Kohler or furniture and bedding in the current Color of the Year (tangerine) more and more homeowners are bravely adopting brighter hues.
- Modern Kitchens — The heart of every home. This is where new homes shine with the latest and greatest design, cabinets, countertops and lighting — to say nothing of state-of-the-art appliances.
- Smart Growth — Many of today’s master planned new home communities offer community clubhouses and pools, protected nature areas, hiking trails, playgrounds and more. Larger new home communities often contain carefully planned retail options and even schools inside the community. It’s also not uncommon to find master-planned communities that water common areas with reclaimed water .
- Going Green — Hands down, new homes win here, too. The Home Energy Rating System an industry standard that rates the energy efficiency of homes. The lower the score, the more energy efficient the home
- Linen Closets & Smart Storage Options — New homes take the win in this category, too. Simply compare the much larger walk-in closets of today’s new homes with the cramped closest of old homes.
- Energy-Efficient Fixtures & Appliances — Our new vs. resale home comparison is turning into a rout. Today’s new homes feature enormous energy efficiency in appliances, HVAC (heating, ventilation and cooling equipment) and throughout the house. As we saw, a typical new home of today is 30 percent more energy efficient than one built just five years ago. Compare a typical new home built today to a 10-20 year old home?
- Double Car Garage with Organized Work/Storage Space — You’d be hard-pressed to find a new home that doesn’t score a “10” on criteria number 10. Many builders also offer three-car garages (or larger) that offer enough storage space to make the man of the house grow weak in the knees.